4/2/14

Barophobia

     For this years A-Z challenge I have chosen to explore obscure fears from A-Z.  All of the fears I have chosen to discuss were the ones for each letter that I found the most fascinating, or interesting that would be fun to mess around with Laughing at Life 2 style
     Today's fear is Barophobia, which is the fear of gravity.  If you suffer from barophobia, and don't live in outer space, every day must be a total living hell because Earth is just lousy with gravity.  There isn't any way that I can think of to get away from gravity so I cannot even imagine how people suffering from barophobia function at all.  I imagine that every waking moment for a baraphobe on planet Earth is just filled with terror and screams.
     I for one have always found gravity to be very comforting.  I like the idea of staying securely on the ground instead of just floating away into space far away from my television and oxygen.  I like being able to set my glass on the table and know that it will stay there and wait for me to drink it instead of floating away like a 5 year old child's overpriced helium zoo balloon.  Gravity is great as far as I'm concerned.  I am personally a big gravity fan.  But I do not suffer from barophobia.  If I did I suppose that crying child's Mylar balloon floating away in the sky would be a comforting sight in a terrifying world where everything is pulled down to Earth by a force I could never escape. 
     

28 comments:

  1. VERY happy that my feet are on the ground (sorta)! Wondering what you have in store for C...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this existed! Interesting. Looking forward to learning about more phobias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty wild right? Check back, you will discover some weird ones here this month,

      Delete
  3. Wow. Have people been documented with this? Or is it something made up for science fiction books. Can't even begin to imagine - well, unless I fell out of an airplane sans 'chute.
    Marlene at On Writing and Riding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the phobias I'm going to cover originally came from a Time magazine list of phobias that I then double checked. I chose all the wildest ones. I've got plenty more really wild and interesting ones coming. Thanks for stopping by and come back soon!

      Delete
  4. Could it maybe be the fear of lack of gravity? I know the movie freaked a lot of people out... Many of my friends flat out refused to watch it.

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Tales of Colors
    MopDog - The crazy thing about Hungarians...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dying to see Gravity. From what I researched it was the fear of gravity which was odd but your right the fear of the lack of gravity would be a valid fear.

      Delete
  5. I routinely check for things over my head that I would attempt to grab onto, should gravity suddenly reverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been a boy scout to be that prepared.

      Delete
  6. Stoping by on the 2nd day of the #atozchallenge. Know you are going to have new blogging friends. Oh, I sent the worm joke to a friend who always tells a joke at the end of a meeting. She'll like this one. Have fun this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked the worm joke too. I hope your friend gets a laugh with it.

      Delete
  7. That would sure suck, if you have barophobia you are outta luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you are right Pat, gravity is constant and you can't get away from that

      Delete
  8. Wow I had no idea this even existed. I love to learn new things. And knowing this, will come in handy one day...at a cocktail party, family holiday dinner, driving with the in-laws, when I have absolutely nothing to talk about. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SUCH a clever theme! I love it. And who knew there were so many weird phobias.


    An A to Z Participant

    www.fantasyblog.ciaraballintyne.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 24 more coming. Come back and check out the rest.

      Delete
  10. I agree, this is a very cool theme, one that one just has to come back to because one is just so darned curious about what comes next. So I will be your latest follower just so I can find out about all the stuff that scares people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you think that people with this fear find solace in the song "Defying Gravity" from the hit Broadway musical Wicked?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I'm just going to say it. This is one weird phobia. How do people get by with this? And how do they develop it to begin with? I really can't imagine having to life with this type of fear.

    You just trigger the researcher in me to find out more about barophobia. :)

    Carrie~Anne at That Dizzy Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know it would be very hard to manage suffering from this one.

      Delete
  13. Indeed, that is a different one. May have to file it under potential sci-fi short story prompt.

    A to Z commenter
    From the Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post makes me fear NOT having gravity--is there a word for that? Very interesting--fun topic! I'll be checking back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be. It would be super scary if gravity just suddenly ceased to exist.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the discussion, whats up?