4/4/13

Dave Chappelle Tribute

I think every group of black guys should have at least one white guy in it so, when the sh*t goes down, there is someone to talk to the cops. -- Dave Chappelle

     David Khari Webber Chappelle was born August 24th, 1973 in Washington D.C. As a youth he was inspired by the comedy of Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor.  It was also in D.C. that Dave found his love of stand-up comedy, and his Mom would take him to clubs to perform.  Even as a young teen it was clear to the other comedians that he was gifted at the art.  Chappelle was known for his wit, and always fresh material as well as his natural delivery and confident stage presence.  
     Chappelle learned his craft as a teen in those D.C. comedy clubs and at age 19 he moved to New York City to pursue his career in stand-up.  From there he went from being booed off the stage at the famous 'Apollo Theater's' amateur night to being one of the biggest comedy stars of our generation.  There is no doubt that Dave Chappelle is a gifted and great comedian and writer but, the main reason I am honoring him here is for his deep integrity in the art of stand-up.  
     In my opinion as a dedicated student of the art of humor, and stand-up comedy, Dave Chappelle has consistently held his brand of comedy to the highest standard and made sure it was always not only funny, but relevant and thought provoking too.  He fearlessly pushes the envelope with his humor breaking down mental walls and cultural barriers.  He is unafraid in his comedy and is always sure of himself and his humor.  That is what moves me, and makes me respect Dave Chappelle, and it is why I am honoring him here at Laughing at Life, 2 today.
     Dave Chappelle has had many successful comedy specials, been in many movies, and appeared on many television shows, even starring in his own wildly succesful show, 'The Chappelle Show'.  So, there can be no doubt he is a big success in show buisness.  But, to me, that isn't all that makes a comic great.  Actually, I don't consider commercial success to be much of a determining factor at all.  I've seen, and worked with many comics, most that you would have never probably ever heard of, that I consider masters of the craft.  I consider Dave Chappelle to be one of the greats for his passion, integrity, and ability to do what only a few can do, and that is make us learn while we laugh.  Dave can do that, and that is why I admire him.
     In closing I am going to share with you one of my favorite Dave Chappelle bits.  Enjoy!



     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the discussion, whats up?