4/6/13

Finding My Bromance

     Making new male friends as an adult is very hard, at least it is for me.  As a kid it was so easy.  You could meet another little boy at a playground and be blood brothers by lunchtime.  It was just so simple back then.  You'd just walk up and say 'Cool big wheel, wanna be friends?'.  They'd say sure and, next thing you know, your riding big wheels with your new best friend.  By the end of the day you might even have a sleepover at his house.  As an adult male, if you meet a guy you like, and want to be friends with him, it's very hard to close the deal.
     It even feels kind of homo erotic making a move like asking for his phone number.  At least it does to me, and I'm quite secure in my sexuality but, it's just so tough to take that leap.  I mean what if he rejects you.  Now your standing there swimming in a sea of palpable awkwardness from the rejection.  Then, your definitely gay.  Gay, and rejected.  You would have been better off to have just gave him a surprise reach around.  Y'all would be in the same awkward situation but, at least then, there would be a damn good reason for it.
     I want an adult male friend really bad.  I like hanging out with my best friend just playing pool, or even just sitting on the couch in the man cave watching ESPN, drinking a sixer, and smoking a bowl.  I want to have that special bromance you know?  I do, but I didn't grow up here, and it's just so damn hard to meet a nice guy...  
     See, it sounds so gay even just saying it but, it's true.  The good ones are so rare.  Most of the guys I meet are either morons, or jerks.  I think the trap I'm in is the one most married guys find themselves in.  I don't want to end up a sad old married guy, who's clothes match his wives, that has that sad 'just kill me' look in his eyes. I know a guy friend would protect me from that.  Every sitcom says so but, I just can't figure out how to find my Mr. Right.
     Need more convincing that finding a good bro is hard as an adult male?  Just watch this great video from the guys over at College Humor for further proof.



4 comments:

  1. I agree, it is hard making friends as an adult. Especially with everyone too busy staring at their phones nowadays.

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Come back soon.

      Delete
  2. I can relate as well. I made a new friend a couple of years ago and we have a lot of fun together, but after a while he became a lot of work. Too clingy. He wanted to hang out every day and the fact that I have a daughter to raise seemed to slip his mind.

    This whole explanation sounds gay, but that's what happened. I had to set some serious boundaries.

    Dropping in from A to Z Challenge. It's my first year participating.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the discussion, whats up?