4/5/14

Ergophobia

     Ergophobia is the fear of work.  I have personal experience with this fear because my ex wife suffered from it.  She quit her job the moment we moved in together and then perfected her new skills of holding down the couch and keeping the TV warm.  All this time I just thought she was lazy but now I know that she was probably just terrified of working.  She isn't the only one either.  I know that there are a whole lot of people that just the idea of working a real job gives them waking nightmares and cold sweats.
     I get it, work sucks, but being poor sucks a whole lot worse.  I need to work because I need money.  For one, I like girls and girls like stuff and stuff costs money.  Plus, I like to eat and when I get a combo from McDonalds, I'm gonna need to supersize it.  Plus, as much as it might be a draw to file disability for my severe and debilitating ergophobia and sit home watching TV all day I'd go nuts with that much free time.  Trust me, I love to just crash on the couch and watch television but out of the two hundred channels I have now there is hardly enough on to fill even the little time I do get to watch it.  I guess what i'm saying is as lazy as I am, I just can't see myself fully embracing ergophobia. 

19 comments:

  1. I can understand where it comes from. Out of high school with no work experience, and no money to go to college, the thought of a job terrified me. Some people just have moments when the realization that they are an adult hits too hard and too fast to think about rationally, and these sort of debilitating panic attacks result.

    But I'm with you, after three days on vacation, I'm itching to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too Flip, I like things and stuff a lot. They aren't cheap either.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I can't imagine not working on something. Even if I stayed at home, I'd have to do something on the side (like novel writing and such). Just something. I also haven't even turned on my tv in months (can only watch dvds on it anyways).

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point. I would work if I was rich but it would be on things that I love. Sorry to hear about the TV. That is the saddest thing I have ever heard.

      Delete
  4. Fun theme for the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this theme for the challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No embrace here either but I do hope to find a position doing something I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It is so much better when you can be doing something you like versus just trudging away at nonsense.

      Delete
  7. Yep I agree! Work sucks but being broke sucks a whole lot more! That's my mantra that gets me though the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems like a major battle you have going on with your inner couch potatoe. i totally get it i hate work , i hate everyone i work with and the thought of work makes me violently ill. Happy a to z fellow st louisan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work does suck. You sound like maybe you need a different job lol

      Delete
  9. Maybe it stems from the terrifying feeling of starting a new job. I don't mind actually working but those first few weeks at a new job can be terrifying--it's like high school all over again, desperately wanting to find someone to sit with in the lunch room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I don't have fear of working (I've stacked my half of a semi load of hay bales). I just have a fear of wasting my time working for someone else! Eventually one of my inventions or books will pay off and make it all worth it! It will!
    Marlene at On Writing and Riding

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the discussion, whats up?